Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Did you know?

That I haven't been on a plane since 2006? That is crazy talk to me. I'm used to going all over the place, as when I lived in Chicago I went to visit my friend in St. Petersburg FLA twice a year and went to see my family every two months or so. Since moving back to the mass of humanity on the East Coast, now I take a wicked bus/train combo that takes about seven hours (incidentally about the same amount of time it took to fly from Chicago to PVD and then drive home) but can be done at the drop of a hat, at any time of day, with no planning. Plus, it costs like $45 roundtrip. On weekends when I'm broke in New York, it's a great idea to get out of here, because I don't think I've ever spent a weekend here when I've spent that little. So I often do go visit my brothers and parents and dog, but do so these days without air travel.

Oh wait! Here's that dog!


Astute readers will remember that I did indeed leave the country last year, on a lovely trip to Nova Scotia with Caitlin, but we drove.

This is all to say, I need to go somewhere. Both the Federal and NY governments are telling me they're giving me some money back in taxes, and with the Thief-in-Chiefs promise to stimulate the economy, I am going to be able to afford to leave the country on a plane this year! Now I'm entertaining ideas... I'd love to go to see friends in Honduras and Guatemala, which is always a great trip (and Nicaragua is right there...); but I also owe Crystals a trip to Buenos Aires, as well as Tariki a trip to Kingston. The one problem is that I've been to all these places before... which really isn't a problem at all! I can go visit new things in all of these places. I do feel particularly pulled to Latin America right now... and it could be listening to this song on repeat, which I discovered through my girl Julieta Venegas. It's "Sin Documentos" by Los Rodriguez.


Here's Julieta's live version:


Ai ai ai Viva Mexico cabrones!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good use for refund -- Vegas!

Muffin said...

who's wearing a pink polka dotted coat? who is it?